Sunday 6 December 2009

The 2009 Edublog Awards

Andrew Old's avatar at facebook

I would like to put a blog forward to The 2009 Edublog Awards.
I work out in the sticks in a small town in a rural area in The Netherlands. Reading blogs by fellow teachers, mostly from the U.S. and the U.K., I come across a lot of information that refers to national educational politics or local circumstances. Reading those texts puts my own teaching in a wider framework which is good.
A main theme emanates from these blogs: hard working teachers are being clobbered by politicians and school administrators to meet demands. Apparently a major crisis is experienced in the countries mentioned, and in my homeland for that matter, which has to be resolved by the teachers in their classrooms. Targets have to be met, forms must be filled in. The teacher has to cope with children's special needs. Differences in cultural background are to be equalized in the classroom. School must make up for the loss of the family as the bedrock of society. 21st Century Skills should replace academic goals of old.
So rightly Andrew Old complains in his blog Scenes from the battleground. He is not just carping, his blog conveys a genuine concern about his daily work with children. He consistently points the finger at fads, idiosyncratic demands and preposterous targets. His voice must be heard and acknowledged. I nominate his blog for Best Individual Blog.

2 comments:

Margaret English said...

I agree with your nomination. Old Andrew 's observations and opinions are always spot-on.

Lizzie Love said...

I also think Old Andrew's blog is brilliant. I am currently working my way round to reading various teacher blogs. I hope you haven't stopped posting, Dancing Crocodile? I've only just started blogging and it's certainly addictive. However, I can see that it takes determination to keep going, especially with the kind of workloads most of us have to tackle these days.